skip to main content
Main Dish Recipes
Chicken Breast in a Port and Raisin Sauce
Make 4 servings
- ½ cup dark raisins
- 1 cup port wine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 shallots, diced
- ¼ pound fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ¼ teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh herbs for garnish
- Soak the raisins in the port wine at least 1 hour or, preferably, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- In a sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- When hot, sauté the chicken breasts on one side until golden brown.
- Turn the chicken over and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in the sauté pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add the shallots and sauté them for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté them for 2 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and reduce until almost dry.
- Stir in the raisins and their soaking liquid.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the evaporated milk, nutmeg, and cornstarch mixture.
- Cook for 2 more minutes, but do not bring to a boil.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the sauce onto serving plates, set a chicken breast on top, and garnish with fresh herbs.
›› Main Dish Recipes